“This love has mocked me.
I feel ashamed and lonely like a little child whose friends mock him for being an Orphan.
I don’t want to be victimized.”
I despise the dampened monsoons
and the aroma of ripened mangoes associated with them.
It is because these falling raindrops remind me
of the time I strolled with you on these drenched boulevards,
underneath the reverberations of a stormy cloudburst.
Oh! These clouds are so naive and innocent
that they do not themselves know for whom they cry!
Yes, my eyes are dampened like the monsoons too.
I see them holding back some salty tears
at the wicked thought that I am in love with you!
I will allow myself to cry out this venom of love
until my heart is hollow and bereft of you.
I will let my untainted bosom become obscure and opaque
until it mirrors your insignificant name no more.
I will do this before the vernal and vivacious springtime comes..
I will forget you this summer.
I abhor the sight of that brackish and salty lake
over which we saw the rising sun.
Like the golden tawny fleck of your hazel eyes,
the cold waters of the lake once sparkled so bright.
We threw stones in it and counted the ripples flow.
I remember both of us never obtained a tally!
So blatant at heart, we set our visions till the farthest sight
and gazed unto nothingness till no more we saw the rising light.
Our bosoms were so warm and our spirits so wild!
We did not act any older than a kindergarten child!
Yes, it was that teeth chattering wintery morning!
But now the sun mounts no more on the phosphorescent horizon
and the malachite hued cascading waters are still!
Now, I should grow old to realize, you don’t feel the same for me!
Like the dried throat of a parched and thirsty sailor,
I will throat-choke my unanswered love for you before I visit that lake again.
I will forget you this summer.
Like useless dampened vapors suspended in thin air,
incidental, inconsequential thoughts of you,
impregnate my mind.
Unlike those definite cartoon figures sketched out
in the ‘join the dots’ exercise I did in kindergarten,
these thoughts of you, when traced back, don’t even connect
that out of them, something sensible I can detect!
They are so like you: so moronic, so witless!
That’s why I want to forget you:
to create space for worthy thoughts.
I will forget you this summer.
I thought, this physical distance between us,
which has been vindictive to keep you out of my sight,
will be heartless enough to keep you out of my mind too!
But every night when the shining stars light my room,
I find myself sitting by the grilled rampart of the roof,
talking to the velvet moon, trying to reach out to you
in hopes that you’re on the other side,
talking to me too!
But have you ever heard me calling?
So now I’m realizing, that I’ve been no less a fool
who thinks that it is a dialogue
going on betwixt me and you!
Who sits energized when the sun goes down
Alas! But sits alone, talking to the moon!
The moon deserve so much more,
than these nonsensical monologue addresses from me
which are actually meant for you.
So before it wanes thrice over the mulberry horizon
and shows up in its fullest, the very first monsoon midnight,
I would have forgotten these ridiculous banters!
I will forget you this summer.
As I sit amidst the silver of the night,
this caramel night sky above me, asks me some questions.
I wish I could answer even one!
I’m scared, it has figured out my love for you,
and also the fact that it will always remain unreciprocated!
I close my ears to be deaf to these surreal questions
and to your name that these winds
Shout out loud to me!
Like all the nights since you’ve gone so far,
tonight seems rejected too,
as it drags on without you.
My lonely cigarette burns!
Yes, I’m burning with it the hopeless actuality
that quite like a fool, I’m in love with you!
Your childlike smile keeps flashing by,
in this nebulously dark and thin air
but the smoke hangs on!
Now, my chalice of golden whiskey clicks once,
as the drink meets the ice.
My hand, shaky in your love, lifts it
and gulps in down thrice!
Now half the whiskey is gone and
half the cigarette is burnt!
But the sound of your unfeigned laughter and
that sparkle in your ultramarine eyes
when you teased me
are yet so clean in my mind!
Before the whiskey is gulped down absolutely
and the cigarette quits to burn!
You need to take leave off my head
before the pain of separation erupts acutely!
I need to forget you too soon.
I will forget you this summer.
As the winds move south and the feathered fowls migrate,
I know, it is time for me to move on too.
This misery of separation from you, I can no more take.
The blush of my love will flush not a red but blue!
Ever since you’ve gone, I know I have to carry on
because living in a dream which has you and me
is not the way my life should be.
Not a tear for you, I want to shed
so forgive me please, even if I do.
Through all the weather maps, I have been,
just in order to bring you to me.
I will breathe my last, if I undergo this sea of storms!
I can’t fight any longer now.
The sooner I forget you, the better it is.
So, I will forget you this summer.
Even when the summer has gone
and my love has been faded by the monsoon mist..
When my senses blossom to the color of spring
and my weightless heart waltzes to the chorale of chirping birds!
It will ache me yet when I will remember that
somewhere I loved you,
somewhere you left!
Somewhere this love was darned,
somewhere my heart wept...
....and then
I will forget it all over again
and continue dancing in the monsoon rain!



tuuuuuuhhhhiiinnnnaaaaa !!!!!!! why ???? why ?? :P hahahah yaar am telling u now o definitely marry me .... chuck the 21 year barrier .....
ReplyDeleteand i love dis piece of urs !!!!! its u !!.... :) and yes rest u noe wot am tokin !1 ;)
Lol! Love knows no bounds, indeed.
ReplyDeleteArjun, its more of you than me. =P
And I don't like it when you say, 'you know what I'm talking about'! It just makes me feel how vulnerable I am!
A master piece from a great writer..
ReplyDeleteLove the idea of whiskey meeting ice..
P.S- I am taking this idea in my poem as well..
Hope I can !!!
its really beautiful.... amazing... just dun have words to describe how beautiful it is.....
ReplyDelete