Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Umbrella of Hope

 
"There are things I miss, but I still believe, 
that one day we will believe again!"

Part- 01:
Till today in my head, emphatic memories remain
of that evening, when the sky was veiled with a legion of clouds!
Out of enchantment- it cried,
And shed the rain showers of euphoria!
As the sky ash-ened it’s hue, the air contained the fragrance of soil.
It was the year of 1975.
It was monsoon-time in western Pennsylvania.

I remember that rose-scented October evening
when on that grey pathway, we endlessly tread.
I had no reason to scale the many miles
of that fruitless, impotent lane!
But having you walk next to me
was my exclusive means of persuasion!

You were so shy of speech, so bashful of expressions
And unable to look me in the eye!
But if I were a yellow sunflower, you were my golden sun
unable to get my eyes off you!
I noticed the flawless flush of crimson  
gushing across your virginal face.
Like the sun setting in the western horizon
making the sky scarlet on summer days!
If you could see yourself through my eyes
you’d see the colours, you thought never existed.
Just like how I wonder whether
diamonds knows how they sparkle in the sunlight!

It was miles we walked on that narrow lane,
not worried of salty tomorrows!
I noticed you noticing the trivial things on the way
yet so magnificent when acknowledged!
Like the Great White Pelican soaring towards the horizon,
the queue of black ants crossing our way
or the slackness in the twisted jute rope which enchained our alley!
I saw God’s own daughter in you
who found her father in the many gifts he gave.
Like he played hide and seek with you, waiting to seen by you
when the grey sky roamed across evening sky!

I remember the looks of that multicoloured umbrella which shielded us
from the drizzling rain that kept us about!
The prismatic, polychromic hue contrasted so exquisitely
with the greyness in the air
but harmonized so seamlessly with the colour of  the rainbow.
It was a treat for me to watch you wipe with your left palm-
your right cheek, on which the water droplets fell
from the tips of the umbrella.
And your right shoulder, vulnerable to falling rain outside.
I’d draw you nearer to me, pulling you inside the mad looking umbrella.
With a sudden gush in the neck, a lump in your throat
you’d questioningly stared at your feet, then
adorned with purple bellies and white socks
clueless of an appropriate reaction to
the ripples my touch created down your spine!
You tried so hard concealing your thoughts
but the un-coordination in your eyes played treason.
Your love hung motionless in the blowing wind!
I wanted to plant a kiss on your sugary lips
like a butterfly drawing nectar from the blush hued carnation
and ease you out of the awkwardness!

I treasure those moments when, I’d then folded the umbrella
and hung it just next to where,
I drew you at the rope and held you by your hour glassy waist!
As the rain danced and the thunder sang
in the vicinity of dark clouds
and the wind blowing so aimlessly didn’t know,
for whom it wandered in such darkness?
I leaned on towards you, looking deep into your azure eyes.
It spoke of a language unheard before, so candied!
It spoke without meaning but I listened.
Perhaps it demanded me to kiss you like softness
like quill which blew across your face, caressing you so tender!

You closed your eyes as the thunder came crashing in.
Perhaps waiting for the lightening in me to strike you!
Burn you from the inside with overwhelm
of tenderness and passion juxtaposed!
Just like the transformation of serene waters into a tempest
during a tumultuous water wave in the tranquil waters!
As I pressed my lips against yours,
I realised that you were
so angelic, so chaste, so virginal, so fresh!
If I were a jester boy from the neighbourhood,
you’d be the newly bloomed chrysanthemum
I’d pluck from the nearby garden and claim its beauty
just to myself!
You placed your hand on my chest.
Did you notice, it was pounding so fast?
Like a drop of rain on the barren lands!
I didn’t know what to make of your eyes which were still closed
but when you closed them, I gazed you. Like now.
Only if you could open them to tell me, that
the dreams you weaved were all for me
and the songs you sung, for us!

I thought that night would never end
‘cause for you and me, the world was breathless, noiseless.
As I kissed you on your petal-soft lips
and caressed your silky-smooth hair.
The moon witnessed our love
who continued to shine for its deserted lover!
Even though, the globe stood still,
the wind moved through the streets quietly
cautious to cause no clamour!

Underneath the untainted sheets of my love,
you were naked: Silent, dreamy and exhausted!
Wishing the night never ends!


Part- 02:
Twin monsoons have gone and 52 fortnights passed.
Today, I tread on the same lane as the one we walked on!
But there is no you, no impulsion to move, no incentive to smile!
Its tears, I drop with every step I take every little while!
My world, like then hasn’t become breathless, noiseless..
It’s what I’d like to call: lifeless!
It’s a puppet I am now,
left in the whims of those dazzling memories I’ve treasured!
Gone is the day, when I had you by my side.
Tonight, I am in the hands of desires and fears:
A disconsolate slave!
The world must be asleep now,
but I am alone, singing songs of despair!

I am walking beneath what seems to me the sky
watching my memories turn into clouds.
52 fortnights ago, there was nothing else to show
but the untainted love I have for you!
A hundreds of people must’ve come and gone.
Grown old, frail and weak..
Gathering a little wisdom for kisses and smiles,
I’ve come so far from home.
Drifting like the clouds which drifted that day!
But the rain isn’t falling on the ground no more.
No Pelican I spot!
There is a queue of ants I see, but it doesn’t cross my way!
The slackness in the rope has increased,
the pathway wood has languished and perished a little
and the surrounding pastures have withered!  

But I see something which I left two seasons ago
demarcating the spot we shared our first kiss!
Yes, its the multi-coloured umbrella common between us!
The pathways have become dull and the rope slacks some more
but the umbrella, in my heart evokes the same uproar
as it was 52 fortnights ago, with you next to me!
Like our world which stood still
watching the two lovers amalgamate
the umbrella has stayed: unmoved, quiescent!

I am not angry for loving!
For it has made me what I am.
The umbrella makes me hold on to the thread of hope
that one day, we will float away!
The streets may be empty, but I can still hear
the songs of love and hope, echoing in consonance.
The things I miss, but still believe
that one day, we will believe again!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful expressions.A fresh way of presenting a heart rendering story.
    But I think I shall call it a bit too-long for normal mortals to read & then comprehend.
    Just a personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll choose to share your 'personal opinion'.
    It became so bollywood-like, just accidentally. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.