“Don’t teach me what to wear,
Teach your sons
not to rape.”
I often write, at the slightest of emotional
stirs. If I think that my little words can only ‘move someone’, and I am not
talking of ‘making a difference’, I choose to write. However over the years, so
much has been written about crimes against women, gender violence and
discrimination etc., that whatever has been in my mind has been covered aptly
and broadly, over and again. Maybe, that’s why I never chose to write on it
anymore. The aftermath of Nirbhaya’s unspeakable torture and death has left the
nation deeply hurt. A million articles in various newspapers, magazines,
journals, periodicals, etc have reported how the ‘India’s daughter’ heroically
fought for life and emerged as a ‘Brave heart’ in front of us all and of the
brutality of the rapists. No less has been said about the Guwahati molestation
case, Dhaulakuan rape case, or hundred other misfortunate mishaps of crimes
against women leading to public outcry. Take your pick!
So why I am anxious to write now, you may ask?
Because I haven’t come across anything yet, which has put to words exactly the
way I feel. For men, raping has become a part of Sunday joyride. The Delhi rape
case has caused surges of bitter indignation to flow in every citizen’s veins.
The nation is coming fiercely out on the streets, demanding gruesome penalties
for the rapists. While some are suggesting castration, others say that even
death penalty seems lenient. Protests, silent rallies, candle marches, hunger
strikes, public gatherings have all been resorted to, in order to demand
justice for the victim. A lot of resentment, annoyance anger? Certainly!
However, what no one has brought up until now is how vulnerable, scared and
defenseless this makes me feel. That as I type this, I’m not battling for
life on the ventilator is just a matter a pure chance and no ones intelligence.
I’m extremely terrified, and so are all my peers.
Maybe, this is because I was also on the streets, going home that night, when
the incident took place. One of my friends was on her way to the airport in a
cab. My elder sister who works in Gurgaon was leaving her office around the
same time. A few other friends of mine were returning from a dinner night. Or
any of the girls I know. On usual days, a lot of us have dealt with shady men,
right outside our college, passing lewd comments and nasty remarks at us. The realization that the ‘victim’ could be anyone of us chills me to the bone, and
just right now the thought is making me feel unnerved! Fate played sweetly and
I got lucky on the streets that day, just like everyone else. We might not get
so lucky tomorrow, or the day after and forever. Who guarantees?
As I read the newspapers, screaming about the
ongoing macabre mishaps on women, I feel that I may be wrong. Maybe, when I was
a freshman, the mandate of wearing salwaar
suits with chunni tucked properly
as imposed by the seniors who I thought were ‘ragging’ and encroaching upon my
freedom, was in fact to make me learn that roaming around in those damned
shorts can get me in trouble. Maybe, the early hostel in-time which I again
consider a violation of my freedom is actually for my safety and that, I
shouldn’t be out too late, or hang out with my male friends. But this is
only a minor part of me.
A major part of me is not ready to submit to the
Stockholm syndrome. I refuse to be taken hostage by the wandering eyes of men,
who can’t restrain it in their zips. I refuse to jeopardize my social life or
my male friends. Yes, my fashion statement is unconventional; as my girlfriends
call it ‘chic and sassy’ and I refuse to part with it. I refuse to turn down
dinner invitations at least (if not midnight bashes). I am certainly not
aspiring to be a bohemian rhapsodic or lead a life of radicalism. But I refuse
to relinquish all this because it defines who I am and I can’t let nameless,
faceless, characterless, colorless, soulless and insipid personalities
imprison my life and hold my identity hostage. Call me a ‘nonconformist’ or the
‘other woman’ but how should that make me an ‘easy’ prey is beyond my
comprehension.
When I have gone out, my mother calls me thrice a
day, and if I accidentally miss her calls (phone being on silent mode/I am
crossing the road/too much traffic and I can’t hear the phone ringing/the phone
is on vibration mode and inside my bag etc) all hell breaks loose. Before I
step out, she makes a point to take down the numbers of every person I’m going
out with, just in case. I tell her, “Why
do you worry so much? I keep myself in company of a good number and stay safe,
maa!” But deep inside, I don’t know what is safe anymore!
Will the pepper spray I carry keep enough for my
security or I should switch to a pistol? I stay out only when it is lit,
because as I have been told, rapists are demons really, who come out at night.
But rapes have happened in the godly hour of 6 am. I stay covered and do not
expose skin, because I’ve heard that skin attracts men, but I have also heard
of women being raped in salwaar suits
and sarees. Should I avoid childhood
or adulthood, as some men get ‘turned on’ by little girls, while others
‘prefer’ older women? Maybe both! I always keep myself in a company of enough
number of female friends, but it turns out that some men get encouraged by
numbers. I go out with male friends sometime, but like a lot of people will
tell you, it’s the acquaintances you have to be most wary of! If I think,
staying home is the safest option, then newspapers have told me enough that
intruders and relatives are both capable of raping. It is not even bizarre to
find that household helpers see their master’s daughter as a potential prey.
Our offices are not free of sexual harassment either, as male colleagues enjoy
‘hitting on’ their female counterparts. Girls in schools have been molested by
their teachers and peons and curious boys turn to their female classmates.
Should I just get married? Ah! Rape is legal within marriage! So what I am
supposed to do? Curl up into invisibility? Well, I hear that ‘timidity’ and
‘nervousness’ arouses potential rapists. Then I should be dauntless and
valiant. Don’t be so fearless, I am told.
This leaves me in a Catch-22 situation! Where do
I go from here? Bet on my luck or quit while I’m still ahead, and not dead? I
think, in order to be quite sure that I’m protected from being raped, there is
but just one way out: to not exist. So if there is any process by which I can
evaporate into thin air or become colorless, this is the right time to tell me,
because I really want to know. What I make of the situation is this: Being
responsible has nothing to do with being raped. Women don’t get raped because
they were drinking too much, took drugs, wore skimpy outfits, or weren’t
careful enough. Women get raped because someone
raped them. Period.
Males who would read this will earnestly nod
their heads in agreement, like they understand what this all means. I don’t
want to sound cynical here but let me tell you blatantly, you don’t! Not
because I mean to wedge you out, or you don’t want to, but you’re biologically
programmed to not! Because when you were 14, you were not chased down an open
street by a gang of guys on bikes, passing vile and shameless remarks on you,
deriving cheap thrills and being their object of fun. On the other hand, you
must have never felt vulnerable enough to have ‘what if I had not run fast enough?’ nightmares for months! You did
not get pinched and winked at a Pujo
Pandal, no less by a man who has his 5 year old daughter clutching his
other hand. You don’t skip a heartbeat, when a vehicle slows down next to you,
as you are walking down the footpath. God forbid if it has tinted windows! You
don’t activate the ‘Safety App’ on your cell phone when you are in a public
place. You don’t switch on a tracker every time you take a cab, auto or a
public transport. You don’t brace yourself and curl up, every time you enter
the general bogie on a metro, ready to elbow people who are pressing up against
you in the groin. You don’t walk in a crowded metro or the bus, clutching your
bag against your chest, like it holds treasure, only to save your front from
being brushed a hundred times. You don’t glance over your shoulder and fasten
up your pace if you see a shadow behind you on an empty street. You don’t have
you think twice before plugging in your earphones because you don’t want to be
caught off guard. You don’t choose to not text message or play games on the
cell phone while walking on the road or traveling in the bus because you don’t
want to unvigilant. You don’t carry your drinks everywhere at a party because
you don’t want to be roofied. While going out, you don’t carry a pepper spray
and a Swiss knife as essentials, along with your wallet and cell phone. You
probably don’t have the police’s number 100 and women protection cell helpline
numbers on speed dial. You haven’t been where I have, so you probably don’t
understand where I am coming from. And no! This is not only about Delhi. Being
an Army Officers daughter, I have lived in over 10 different cities, and
although the extent of harassment might be different, it does exist everywhere
and happens in pretty much the same way.
I am not putting up a gender-segmented
accusation. There has to be a change and it certainly needs to start with men.
Hence I consider men a crucial part of this fight for women’s safety. What I
dislike is the lip-service and the tongue in cheek talk. You must be
sympathizing with me, and cutting a sorry figure but I ask you-what have you
done for my safety? Have you ever stopped a friend from passing comments on a girl?
How many times have you checked out a girl’s profile and thought, ‘This one looks easy’? Or wolf whistled
at a girl’s cleavage? Look inside yourself and tell me if you have checked out
a girl’s legs before looking into her eyes when she’s trying to strike a
meaningful conversation? You derived pleasure when BJP/RSS publicly humiliated
couples? When you looked at a newspaper headline speaking of rape/women
molestation, you skipped it considering it as a piece of ‘mundane and
stereotypical news’? Judged a girl by the length of her skirt? Cracked a ‘get
me a sandwich’ joke? If you have done any of these, and like acts, then pardon
me for not taking you seriously. What does your token of sympathy stand for,
other than hollowness? Why do you send me petitions to sign when you don’t
believe in them yourself? Changing your profile picture to ‘the black dot’ does
not change your ideas and beliefs! Give it two more days, and it will change
back. You will forget about it and forget about this gang-rape case, like
a million others! But my life will go on, and so will the lives of so many
other girls, who, like are thanking God each day before going to bed, to have
saved us from nameless-faceless sexual predators, yet, being very unsure about
tomorrow. While you can forget all about it, and not care one bit, my fight for
equality is synonymous with life.
Stop telling to change the way we dress, instead
change your thinking. Don’t blame it on the government every time, because it
is only a reflection of you. If you think it is made of sexist douche bags,
look again. It is not as much a law and order problem, as much as it is with
us. We can implement death penalty for rape to deter the criminal, but ripening
our mindset will nip the evil in the bud.



I was wondering when you shall write about this, now that every single one in my reader list has expressed their hatred for the male gender.
ReplyDeleteI am one of those guys who disguise perversion under "appreciation of beauty". Although I have never even thought of taking my perversion to the extent of making someone uncomfortable, I have used sammich jokes on more occasions than one. I have also stared down, and nodded up guys who look at women I’m with like I would do a fish while fishing, or a fowl while hunting.
While my comments might sound “There, there” to you, change begins with oneself. Except here. Here, the real problem staring down at our empty souls is not that of a twisted sex ratio, no ma’am. It is not even of under exposure to sex. It is not of such mentality being passed down the generation because of the outright patriarchal society we live in. It is of overpopulation, under-education, that of not giving a fuck about both of these. (This may turn political now). It is about political parties who proudly shove saffron or green into your faces. They feed juveniles and then feed into them. It is their twisted sense of religion, ethics and sages from myths that should have no relevance today. I moved to Afghanistan an year ago, and have lived in a city where women do not drive through some streets, because their cars would be burnt, and they, taken hostage and instead of being taught Islam and released, will be raped and possibly beheaded. How Islamic. The first time I heard of this happening, I thought, “Well, thank fuck, for India has progressed.” But then again, isn’t it similar in India? While women can move about freely in Chanakyapuri, Defense colony or parts of Mumbai and Pune, other parts are off limits at night. I am going back home next month, and I am half expecting my cab driver to drive me through NH8 and Munirka and give me an account of what ‘actually’ happened, like he was a grab bar in that bus. He will then go on to say that although he condones the rape, there are some things worth considering, like the moment they entered the bus, the guy should have noticed them drunk and gotten off at atleast the next stop. I am not sure how I will answer him if he brings this up.
This is not cowardice, this is being smart. While people may tag me as being an old fashioned enemy of progress, that was what I would have done. I won’t have tried to be a hero, and stayed in the bus unless I was gagged and bound. So I’m not sorry if I come across a hack who doesn’t want to change the world. I would put the security of the woman with me foremost, even if it means running away from 6 drunk people with however blunt weapons.
I applaud you at your amazing analogy of comparing rapists to vampires, though.
Also, I feel puny when I read your poems, although love is not something I give a tiny rat’s ass about. :D
Be safe, and dream of a better India.
Chronus.
Appreciation and thanks, Chronus! I am pleased that you’ve come clean about your ways with women. I see illiteracy as one of the root causes, yes. While you costume ‘perversion’ in the garb of ‘beauty’, there are a million illiterates out there who are proud of being debauchees and bestialize women openly, which is a shame! In India, we promoted women empowerment too fast and didn’t teach men how to deal with it. I hope India changes for the better.
ReplyDeleteI see you are a regular reader here. Much thanks! I’m glad, my poems have an effect.
You have been given the Liebster Award here - http://jojofeelings.wordpress.com/2013/02/25/liebster-angel/
ReplyDelete